Verrado theatre performs “Hamlet”

Gabi Chambers, VHS Writer

On November 17, 18, and 19 the Verrado High School theatre program held their production of Shakespeare’s Hamlet in the auditorium.

All three nights had an almost full house of people watching the actors and actresses do what they do best.

With auditions on August 25 and 26, the students have been preparing for the play for three months. They would practice almost every day each week until their performance was perfected.

In the original “Hamlet” play by William Shakespeare the characters Hamlet, Laertes, Guildenstern, Rosencrantz, Marcellus, and Bernardo were all played by men, however, in Verrado’s production the roles were switched to be played by women. This was due to the fact that the women actresses that tried out best fit the roles.

Senior Ava Peabody took on the role of Laertes, who is Ophelia’s brother, “It was not very hard to change the gender roles of the play, we honestly just had to get used to saying she instead of he,” said Peabody.

Other than changing a few pronouns, the story line of the play stayed relatively the same.

“We were trying to make the play a little more modern, so the fact that Hamlet was in love with Ophelia was not a problem when we made Hamlet a girl,” Peabody said.

Overall the theatre program had a great production of “Hamlet” and they will soon begin to prepare for the spring musical.