Lady Vipers Basketball Suffers Tough Loss

Gabi Chambers, VHS Writer

BUCKEYE – On Tuesday, December 6, the Verrado Varsity Girls Basketball team played a hard fought game against the Campo Verde Coyotes at home.

The game was intense but in the end, the Lady Vipers could not get the extra points for the win. The final score was 56 to 39 with Campo Verde coming out on top.

In the beginning of the fourth quarter the score was lose between Verrado and Campo Verde, and the crowd cheered the ladies on in hopes of them being able to score just enough points to surpass the Coyotes for the win.

Senior Captain Shelby Lax has been playing basketball for twelve years, and has been a member of the Verrado team for four years. “As a captain I always do my best to make sure I’m picking my team up on the court and showing them appreciation whether they’re playing good or bad so that their head stays in the game,” said Lax when asked about her captain responsibilities

The game on Tuesday was a tough loss for the Vipers, however Lax states “We’re bouncing back by practicing hard and recognizing our mistakes and preparing for our next win.”

Another senior player, Vienna Carbajal has been a Lady Viper for all four years of her high school career, however last year she had to get surgery due to her torn ACL and a small fracture in her meniscus.

“My main struggle was [that] it was mentally challenging for me as I got back out on the court. I struggled coming back with lack of confidence and concerned of re-injuring my knee,” said Carbajal.

Not only did she have to worry about re-injuring herself, but she also had to regain the confidence necessary to go out and played the sport that she loves. “I kept doubting whether I would be strong enough physically and mentally to get back in the court and play to my full potential,” Carbajal said.

The team has had an average start to their 2016-2017 season, as they have won four games and lost four games.

Go out and support all three levels of the Lady Vipers Basketball program on the road at Kellis High School starting at 4:00pm Friday, December 9.