First Friday Provides Outlet for Local Artists

Hayden Weber, VHS Writer

Since its debut in 1987, First Friday has served as a cultural and artistic channel that brings out the heart and soul of the city it inhabits. First Friday is a public event that occurs on the first Friday of every month in Downtown Phoenix.

Spectators take in different art pieces on Roosevelt Row at First Friday. Photo Courtesy of Roosevelt Row.org

Among the First Friday activities are art galleries operated by local and upcoming artists that can promote and even sell their artwork, as well as local musicians and entertainers. First Friday occurs in most major cities across the country, including Phoenix.

“First Friday shows that downtown is a cultural destination,” said Greg Esser, founder of the Roosevelt Row Art District of Phoenix in his recent interview with the Arizona Republic. “It continues to grow and become a vibrant community with great art, great performances, and great food.”

At the First Friday of Phoenix, visitors can get place to place using their free trolley system which transports them to each First Friday event around the area, such as The Phoenix Art Museum, The Heard Museum, Arizona Center, Cityscape, events on Grand Avenue, and of course, the infamous Roosevelt Row, which happens to be the arts district for the city of Phoenix.

“I love First Friday and always look forward to going to it,” said senior Brene Kibbe and First Friday regular. “It just feels so exciting and fresh.”

All of the events at First Friday also happen to be free. This includes the Phoenix Art Museum and The Heard Museum, which normally cost up to $15.

“I went to First Friday back in June and I thought it was a  really unique experience,” said senior Tiffany Covarrubias. “Although it was only my first time their, I thought it was really cool how new artists can use it to sort of get themselves out there. I definitely want to go back and experience it again.”

The next First Friday will be held on February 3 from 6:00 PM-10:00 PM.