Changes to Extended Learning Opportunity Schedule

Chase Hunter, VHS Writer

As a way to help students use their Extended Learning Opportunity (ELO) more effectively, ELO has been changed from Wednesday to Thursday.

The administration realized that students were not using ELO for catching up in classes and finding new opportunities to dive into topics of interest as they had envisioned.

The newest idea is a schedule change where students go to advisory on Wednesday so their teachers can help students with where to go and share school news, and ELO on Thursday to ensure students have ample time the next day to be in a class best suited for their needs.

The change has made ELO better “because we can set it up on Wednesday,” said Leslie Saulsby, Assistant Principal at Verrado High School. “The goal in mind is to enrich the students who are succeeding in classes or hold an intervention for those who are failing or lagging behind.  The goal is to give more time for kids.”

The change was made in response to teacher feedback and the lack of productivity by students who played on their phones and wandered through the hallways. The hundreds of students who did not sign up for classes were assigned to go to the gym so they could be responsibly observed by teachers and staff.

Upperclassmen appear to be the most opposed to the schedule change this past school year. Seniors were not fond of the hybrid schedule change at the beginning of this school year and any further changes are understandably met with the same skepticism and timidity.

“Nobody goes to any classes,” said senior Ariana Isabel. “They just go wherever they want.” Isabel went on to say how she felt that ELO is pointless and has been a failure.

On the contrary, lowerclassmen like Cassidy Phillips are much more optimistic about what ELO could offer.

“It’s pretty cool and different,” said Freshman Cassidy Phillips at the prospect of these future guest speakers. She does not believe ELO has failed. “It’s better than sitting in advisory.”

In addition to the schedule change, guest speakers are also being brought in to talk to students. These include servicemen from the Army and Navy, representatives from West-MEC, and members from HOSA and DECA.

The general feeling about ELO is divided along class lines. Younger students are more empathetic to the change while older students have disdain for a schedule that was changed right from under them.

ELO will continue to serve as an enrichment and intervention class period as the culture at Verrado shifts to fit the changing schedule.