Reds Triumph Over Indians in St. Patrick’s Day Rivalry Game

Krysyan Edler, VHS Editor

Cincinnati’s bench pulled off a win with a strong 5th inning

GOODYEAR – March 17, 2017: The Cleveland Indians fell to the Cincinnati Reds as the Indians were held to only three runs in a 7-3 spring training loss to the Reds Friday night at the Goodyear Ballpark.

Cincinnati Reds SS Zach Vincej at bat in the top of the 8th inning on Friday night’s St. Patrick’s Day rivalry game against ballpark and state rivals, the Cleveland Indians, at the Goodyear Ballpark. Spring training is Vincej’s first time being called up to the majors. Photo credit to Krysyan Edler.

More than 8,000 fans watched the ballpark rivalry game play out, as both the Reds and Indians share the Goodyear Ballpark and are Ohio in-state rivals. With a temperature of 91 degrees at the time of the first pitch, it was a perfect evening to spend a night at the ballpark enjoying America’s favorite pastime.

The Indians played as a split squad as the other half of the team played the Rangers in San Antonio’s Alamodome. The Reds put their minor leaguers in the lineup as Friday’s game was an opportunity for the athletes on both sides to stand out as players try to secure a roster spot as a starter.

“Every young guy has to come up here and struggle when they come up here. There have been some that have come up and been really good from their first start and been able to compete,” Bryan Price, the Reds’ manager, told Fox Sports Ohio.

Action started in the bottom of the first when the Indians’ CF Austin Jackson scored after C Yan Gomes doubled on a line drive. Jackson has something to prove to the Indians management after they acquired him back in January. Jackson faced surgery for a season-ending knee injury in June.

“I just want to make sure that I’m doing whatever I can to stay healthy. I’ll just really focus on that and let everything else kind of take care of itself,” said Jackson.

Jackson is not the only player with something to prove, waiting on a call up to the majors. Most of the Reds’ lineup consisted of players waiting for an opportunity.

“My job is to go out, compete, and play the game hard. I’ll leave all of the decisions up to the guys in the front office,” said the Reds’ LF Jesse Winker to Fox Sports Ohio.

The Reds played hard, but the win was not a guarantee for Cincinnati until the top of the 7th inning, where they pulled in 5 runs.

Chad Wallach collected a RBI double on a fly ball with Patrick Kivlehan and Ryan Raburn scoring. Sebastian Elizalde’s RBI double sent Wallach home, and Elizalde scored after Desmond Jennings’ triple to right field. A sacrifice fly ball to left field by Herman Iribarren allowed Jennings to score, creating a four run lead.

The Reds’ bench collected the majority of the RBI’s through Kivlehan, Raburn, Jennings, and Iribarren, showing the front-office their value in hopes of a roster spot.

The Reds (10-12) face the Angels on Tuesday. With a few more spring training games left, the Reds prepare for April 3’s opening day. The Indians (9-11) compete against the Colorado Rockies on Wednesday at Salt River Fields in preparation of their opening day on April 11.