The New Beginnings of Summers

Jessica Quintana, VHS Writer

With a dazzling smile cheek to cheek, mother of two Angela Summers prepares for the new school year. New to Verrado, this A-Wing history teacher believes education can fix the biggest problem in the world, the fear of differences.

Angela Summers, above, fixes her hair and poses for a picture showing her bright smile. “Please tell me if I have a double chin,” Summers said. Photo credit to Jessica Quintana.

“The biggest problem in the world right now is that we are so afraid of the differences in each other,” World History Teacher Angela Summers said. “Rather it be the color of your skin, your religion, or whatever, we fear everything because we’re not educated. The ignorance of not understanding that it’s not okay that someone doesn’t look like you or think like you, doesn’t make them an enemy.”

Part of her life she grew up in Louisiana where racism was very prevalent which led to her sensitivity and advocacy against racism. She moved from Pennsylvania to Arizona over the summer to continue her second year of teaching overall and to build a new house making a new start.

“We’re building a house, I wish it’d get finished,” Summers said. “That’d be great, it’s taking forever and I hate renting.”

Summers wants it known that if one wants to dislike or stereotype a certain culture they have to understand it first. Understanding a culture from the start would give them more of an idea of what the culture really is about.

“You’ve got to learn, if you don’t understand a culture, don’t immediately hate it, investigate it,” Summers said. “Even if you can’t physically go investigate, it doesn’t mean you can’t learn about them. If you really want to understand culture you have to go back to the beginnings of where they started and where they’re going.”

Over time Summers learned the main lesson of life, rolling with the punches; to accept the reality of things. The reality that isn’t perfection.

“The main lesson life has taught me that rather you think it’s fair or not is not really important,” Summers said. “It is what it is, and you have got to learn to roll with the punches because if you worry about everything being fair, you won’t get very far.”

Summers has advice for future freshmen, to not get caught up with the upperclassmen.

“Don’t get caught up with what the upperclassmen are doing, really, just focus on enjoying that first year of high school,” Summers said. “Because these truly are the four years of the most magical years of your life. It’s like you’re almost an adult but don’t have to have those adult responsibilities.”

She then explained what makes a student a good student; the ones that truly question. Not the ones that turn in everything perfectly and don’t ask questions.

“A good student is really just one that not one that does everything you tell them and turns in everything perfect,” Summers said. “That’s not what makes you good, it’s the one that questions you, truly question. They want to know more than what you’re telling them and they just don’t take the surface and think for themselves to ask those questions. That’s what makes you truly a good student because you’re a student of life.”

Summers wants everyone to do what they love because it will always work out in the end. She doesn’t want students to work in a field their parents want, but what they love instead.

“If you truly do have a passion don’t feel like you can’t do it because your mom isn’t happy you didn’t go to medical school,” Summers said. “Pursue what makes you happy and it’ll all work in the end.”