Diamondbacks Knock-off Rockies In Wild Card Victory

Krysyan Edler, Editor-in-Chief

Arizona moves on to the NLDS against the Los Angeles Dodgers

The Arizona Diamondbacks triumph over the Colorado Rockies 11-8 in the MLB Wild Card game. This is the first time the Diamondbacks have made the playoffs and advanced to the National League Divisional Series since 2011. This postseason is the first time the team has qualified for the playoffs as a Wild Card team.

Diamondbacks relief pitcher Archie Bradley pitches in the top of the eighth inning of the National League Wild Card game at Chase Field. Bradley came in at the top of the eighth inning to relieve Jorge De La Rosa and hit a triple in the bottom of the seventh inning.

“The environment was completely different than a regular game,” game attendee and teacher Mr. Charles Fridrich said. “They were giving out red rally towels to everyone, and everyone was waving them. It was really loud and exciting. People were celebrating with people they didn’t know.”

Cy Young candidate Zack Greinke took the mound for the Diamondbacks against Rockies’ starter. According to MLB.com, in his 32 regular season starts Greinke has a 3.20 ERA and 215 strikeouts in the 202 ⅓ innings he’s played, and he has a 3.55 ERA in the postseason. He is 17-7 this season and 17-1 at Chase Field.

NL MVP candidate Paul “Goldy” Goldschmidt has awaken from his September slumber anomaly of only 3 HR and 14 hits of his 80 at bats to start of the first inning with a three run HR. Chants of “MVP” echoed through the park after Goldy’s HR.

J.D. Martinez went 0-3 with an intentional walk. Martinez hit it out of the park this season with 29 HR since he was acquired by the Diamondbacks from the Detroit Tigers and 16 HR in the month of September, tying an NL record. In the series sweep against the Dodgers Martinez hit four home runs against four different pitchers, an unparalleled event in Dodger Stadium’s history.

A season like this has been unexpected with the front office changes that occurred before spring training. Last fall Boston Red Sox General Manager Mike Hazen was named the Diamondback’s new general manager with Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo as the new manager.

The Diamondbacks became the first team to hit four triples in a postseason game since the 1903 Boston Americans. Ketel Marte became the eighth player all-time to hit two triples in a postseason game and the first to hit a triple from both sides of the plate.

Reliever Archie “The Beard” Bradley brought Chase Field to its feet with his first career triple in the bottom of the seventh which sent Jake Lamb and AJ Pollock home. Bradley became the fifth pitcher all-time to have a triple in the postseason and the first reliever in history to hit a triple in the postseason. A quick out after his triple, left Bradley shaken at the mound and caused him to give up two back to back HR to Nolan Arenado and Trevor Story.

“I knew I wasn’t as sharp,” relief pitcher Archie Bradley said in a post-game interview with TBS. “I was going to give up some homers so I needed a little cushion to forgive myself a little bit.”

As National League West rivals the two teams have quite the history between them giving each team a perfect blueprint strategy on how to play each other. The teams have faced off 20 times now this season with Arizona leading the series with 12 wins. No two teams know each other like the Diamondbacks and the Rockies; they even share the same spring training facility.

“I am ready and confident,” game attendee and Diamondbacks fan Mrs. Lauren Owens said. “We are the team with the best record against the Dodgers. [Clayton] Kershaw is just another pitcher. I am extremely confident. We have two pitchers that are like Dodger killers.”

Next stop is Dodger Stadium to take on the team with the best record in the MLB. The Dodgers suffered an implosion after they were swept by the Diamondbacks in two consecutive series and were finally able to right their ship to clinch the NL West as the number one seed. The Diamondbacks are the team with the highest chance of usurping the Dodgers and have an 9-8 series lead over Los Angeles this season.