Capturing Life and Beauty one Click at a Time

Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Naomi Kharrl stands in Verrado High School’s courtyard. Kharrl has her own photography business which she uses to show people the beauty within themselves.“I’ve always prided myself in meeting new people and being friends with really anyone,” senior Naomi Kharrl said. “I like taking photos. I like colors; I like editing with colors and stuff. I really like that aspect of it.” Photo credit to Krysyan Edler.

Krysyan Edler, Editor-in-Chief

Senior Naomi Kharrl uplifts others through photography

A big heart and a camera sets senior Naomi Kharrl apart from the rest. Kharrl has the profound ability to capture life’s greatest moments in a medium that will last forever: photography. Kharrl is well-known for her photography skills, a talent that is greatly admired by her peers.

“She’s super fun and has a vibrant personality,” senior Victoria Warrum said. “Her creativity makes her stand out as a photographer. She has her own unique twist especially with her editing. When you see one of her pictures, you can tell it’s hers.”

Kharrl’s journey to photography began at age nine when her mom introduced her to the camera and encouraged her to take pictures of flowers. Her passion for photography did not fully blossom until last year though.

“When I was fifteen every once in awhile I would do photo shoots,” senior Naomi Kharrl said. “I loved it, but I never really considered it. I thought I wasn’t good enough. Then when I was sixteen I kind of picked up my camera again. I did one photoshoot, and it was like this big ah-ha [moment] where I felt this is what I should be doing, and I ran with it. I kind of had a crisis of self. I didn’t feel talented, but when I picked up my camera I kind of found my purpose. I felt like the spirit was just like ‘yes.’”

Unsurprisingly, Kharrl’s passion for photography is fueled by a self-less goal. She strives to create happiness in those around her, even those she doesn’t know.

“I feel like people generally have really low self-esteem, and I feel like through my photography I can fix that,” Kharrl said. “So it’s kind of my goal to kind of show people how amazing they are, and while we might still have insecurities we are all beautiful in our own way. I know that sounds really cliche, but it’s true. And I feel like through my job I get to remind people of that. It feels like a way I get to serve the world and society. It elevates me. It broadens my horizons and spreads positivity. That’s really what I want to do with my life: to make people happy.”

Her ability to find beauty in everyone drives her photography business making her a popular choice for capturing important moments such as senior portraits. Unlocking the emotion and personality within her subjects is her goal as a photographer.

“I want real emotion,” Kharrl said. “I don’t like mannequin poses. I want to look at a picture and be able to see a person for who they are to be able to see their happiness and their true personality. I want to get to know them. I want to be their friend. Part of photography is the business aspect, but another important part is the relationships I get to create.”

Heavily involved in her community, church, and school, Kharrl serves as the National Honor Society president. She even spearheaded the National Honor Society’s first annual dog show last year and is excited to continue the new tradition this year. Her love of service is eminent in everything she does.

“The dog show is our effort to reach out to the community more,” Kharrl said. “We felt as NHS that we weren’t really heading something that was making a huge impact on the community. The dogs show was our means to unite our school with our community and support a cause we are all passionate about. I felt like it was a good way for us to kind of bring the meaning of service back into NHS, and that was my goal and to have fun. Service is fun. You just have to go in with the right attitude.”

Her kind soul is noticed by everyone she comes in contact with. She leaves a profound impact that lasts forever.

“She has a good sense of humor,” English teacher and NHS advisor Ms. Amanda Barnes said. “She’s pretty funny. I honestly don’t think I have ever really seen her without a smile on her face when she’s talking to people. She is always trying to make people feel included, make people feel better, and even though she’s one of those rockstar kids she’s not one of those smart kids that tries to make you feel dumb. She tries to bring everyone up with her instead of putting people down to feel better. I feel like she’s one of those One Verrado type of people that we don’t necessarily have around all the time anymore.”

Family is an integral component of the Brigham Young University hopeful’s life. She credits her mother for who she is today.

“My mom is my biggest inspiration. She’s like pretty much the best person that’s ever lived except Jesus. She’s my biggest inspiration. She’s been through a lot but she always perseveres. She teaches me to work hard. She’s just an A1 person.”

An A1 person herself, Kharrl is there for anyone in need of a friend. Due to the hardships she has experienced she has made it her mission to help those experiencing their own hardships.

“If anyone ever needs someone like if they ever feel alone or they feel unwanted or not important, I am always someone they can come to even if they don’t know me,” Kharrl said. “It’s my duty to uplift other people because I’ve gone through things in my life where I could choose to go down a path where I am unhappy, but I feel that it’s my goal to make people happy. As a make other people happy I become happy, but I just want people to know that I am here for everyone. I genuinely care, and I want to make a difference in people’s lives.”