Time to Satisfy Your Holiday Sweet Tooth

Easy Pretzel Turtles will satisfy any sweet tooth this holiday season. A simple treat for anyone to make. Photo credit to Sheri Edler.

Krysyan Edler, Editor-in-Chief

With the holiday season already in full swing, it’s time to start baking. When scrolling through Pinterest, it is hard not to miss all of the trending holiday recipes, but it can be hard to choose which one to bake. The Easy Pretzel Turtles are the perfect addition to a holiday baking routine.

These treats are a fool proof recipe for anyone no matter their baking experience. The recipe is rather simple and quick to prepare.

“They were really good,” senior Dana Lapp. “I almost cried. I would eat this over any other food for the rest of my life.”

To concoct your soon to be favorite snack begin by lining a cookie sheet with parchment paper and preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Then place the pretzels in rows and add an unwrapped Rolo candy to the center of each of the pretzels. Now that they look like little pilgrim hats, set the cookie sheet in the oven for three to four minutes; as soon as they come out of the oven, gently push an M&M into the top of each rolo.

“It was really tasty,” government teacher Mrs. Erin Eisen said. “I like the sweet and salty flavor. I love the caramel inside. It makes it so sweet. The reason I wouldn’t make this is because I would eat it all and wouldn’t share.”

These sweet treats consist of a salty pretzel base with a chocolate Rolo placed in the center that is finished off with an M&M on top. It’s the ultimate mixture of salty and sweet with the contrast of crunchy pretzel and soft chocolate.

“I like the sweetness and salt and how they taste combined,” junior Genevieve Ruland said. “The caramel gives it a nice texture, and the M&M is a nice touch.”

Creativity can be expressed in the final step. Holiday bakers can make the treat their own by changing up the turtle’s toppings. For nut lovers, pecans, cashews, and peanuts can replace the M&Ms. Chocolate can even be drizzled over the top as an embellishment. Different colored and flavored M&M’s can be used also to change up the taste and give it a more festive aesthetic.

“I would just add more chocolate somehow, maybe dip it,” Runland said.

Some had differing opinions. They thought no change was necessary to the already mouthwatering treat.

“I wouldn’t change this treat,” senior Hannah Shelton. “It is delicious.”

Ready to make mouths water, these pretzel turtles are sure to be a big hit at the upcoming holiday party or even good enough to drop off at a friend’s doorstep. These treats are ready to make their debut to the holiday baking list as they become a new tradition and holiday staple.

“The treat was very good,” sophomore Logan Echeverria said. “I don’t even like pretzels, but I thought it was good though. I would make this, especially for a Christmas party. I think I could make it. It was good and had a balance of flavors.”