2-1 Start to the Season

The Verrado Boys Soccer Team smiles after their 3-0 win on Monday November 27 at Dysart High School. Their first win of the three match ahead of them. Photo Credit to Coach Travis Roux

Sam Gustus, VHS Writer

The Verrado Varsity Boys Soccer team has already had tryouts and have been practicing for nearly a month now. The team has already played their first three matches of the season. They need to work very hard and be determined if they want to win every match.

¨We are doing good so far as a team,¨ senior Eric Smith said. ¨We got a new formation and new international players from Sweden and Brazil. Coach Roux is doing a good job introducing the new formation to everyone and bringing enthusiasm to the table.¨

The team is excited to show off how their hard work and the new skills they have learned over the off-season.  Coach Travis Roux has been the Verrado Boys Varsity Soccer Coach for 8 years and is looking forward to see how well the team is going to do this season.

¨The team seems to be overall improving, but we have a long way to go,¨ varsity boy’s soccer coach Travis Roux said. ¨The team is preparing for the future matches, but we are focusing on one match at a time. It is hard on the students physically and mentally trying to play as hard as they can three matches in a row while keeping up on school work. We used a lot of substitutes in the first two matches so that they could survive the three games.¨

The Boys Verrado High School Soccer team won on Monday, November 27 against Dysart with a score of  3-0, scoring once in the first half and twice in the second half of the match.

¨I think we should have won our last match against Westview,¨ senior Fernando Parra said. ¨We lost only one of the three matches we played, and I think we did good as a team overall. The field at Westview was very slippery. They over watered it, and it was hard to get control and keep possession of the ball, and that lead to a lot of mistakes.¨

Their last match of the week was against Westview and Verrado lost with a score of 1-0. This is the only time in the season when they have three back-to-back matches and ended scoring 10 goals with only conceding one goal in total. They don’t have a lot of Vipers in the stands and need support to continue having a good season.