Curtain Call for Drop Dead Juliet

Shown above is the pamphlet for Drop Dead, Juliet! That was handed out at the door during the play. The showings were December 7th through December 9th. Photo credit to Madeleine Lelito.

Madeleine Lelito, VHS Writer

The final rehearsal struck the cast of Drop Dead, Juliet! and left them anxiously awaiting the performances that were quickly approaching. The play rehearsals were lots of fun, but with it being a student-directed play, there were some hardships. Of course, for the Verrado theatre team, the show would still go on.

“I hoped to give students the opportunity to work with another director,” theatre teacher Jeff Spence said. “Once you leave here you will work with all sorts of different directors and this will be good experience.”

A few issues occurred while the play rehearsals went on, but the cast remained positive about the show. A few of the actors and actresses even dropped the play because of various reasons, and others had to take up their roles; but the cast still stayed hopeful.

“The biggest struggle was living up to Corbin,” junior James Burrie said. “He had been the princess before me, and he had set a high bar for me to live up to.”

The first showing of the play went even better than the cast could’ve hoped, having no missed lines and hardly any mistakes to be seen which, for a student directed play, can be quite hard to achieve. All the other performances went well too, making the show a success.

“The shows went better than expected,” junior Jessi Bianco said. “It felt like a really dumb show, but I feel that’s due to the fact we did it so many times. I failed to realize until close to opening night that the show is meant to be interpreted as dumb and funny. It was fun to perform nonetheless.”

The show was a twist on the classic Shakespearean play, Romeo and Juliet, and includes many surprises for the audience, showing different sides to the characters, and the actors playing them. The show has a little something for everyone, featuring sword fights, dance battles, comedic scenes, and even more.

“A student led show gives students hands on experience working in Theatre,” Spence said. “It is a similar experience that you will receive in college if you continue with Theater.”

The ability for the seniors to direct the play is part of the Theatre III class curriculum, where they take turns directing mini plays for their class and then go on to directing a play for the whole school to enjoy. This can show the students what it takes to not only be an actor but a director as well, and helps to inspire them in the future to pursue theatre as a career.

The student officers in theatre club chose it,” Spence said. “They were given a few shows to choose from, and this was the one they responded to the most.”