Queen of the Court

Ambar Silverio, VHS Writer

Girls basketball has always been front-and-center during the winter here at Verrado. Having had some shining stars in past years, this new lineup does not disappoint. Imani Crawford-King, the varsity girls basketball captain and the team’s only upperclassman, is a major piece on the court.

“We’ve been working hard,” coach Vernon Beard said. “Having someone like Imani on the team is priceless. She works well with all of the players and really steps up to the plate. It’s great to have her come back and play again this year, and I’m really excited to see her progress.”

Coming up on her tenth year of playing basketball, Crawford-King has become extremely comfortable and confident in her playing abilities. She played all though her middle school years and does not intend to stop anytime soon. Her passion for the game has never once faltered, and she hopes to continue playing it all throughout college too.

“College has always been the end goal,” Crawford said. “This is a really important season for me because junior year is when most scouts start to look at players, so I’m hoping that the season goes well for me. Being the oldest person on the team puts a lot of pressure on me, but I like being able to work with these younger girls and hopefully help them out.”

Last year, the team went 14-13, and they hope to be able to beat that record this year. It’s been a bit of a bumpy start for the girls, but they hope to be able to pick it up in the coming games. There’s 18 games this season, and Crawford is committed to playing her best in all of them.

“She’s really committed,” friend, junior Alexis Orozco said. “Imani spends most of her time practicing with the team or even by herself because she loves the game so much. It’s really great to be able to see how it’s all slowly paying off for her, and I’m excited to see where she goes from here.”