In a Blast from the Past Verrado’s First Book Fair is Finally Here

Numerous+books+from+various+genres+at+discounted+prices+fill+Verrado%E2%80%99s+first+book+fair+that+will+run+through+Tuesday+January+23+to+Thursday+January+25.+The+library+put+together+the+book+fair+to+inspire+students+to+read+by+encouraging+students+to+find+the+right+book.+Photo+credit+to+Krysyan+Edler.+
Numerous books from various genres at discounted prices fill Verrado’s first book fair that will run through Tuesday January 23 to Thursday January 25. The library put together the book fair to inspire students to read by encouraging students to find the right book. Photo credit to Krysyan Edler.

Krysyan Edler, Editor-in-Chief

Verrado Library will be hosting its first ever book fair

A flashback to elementary school is about to hit Verrado with its first book fair. Students will visit the book fair with their English classes and can also stop by during their lunches or after school until 3:35 p.m. The book fair will take place from Tuesday January 23 to Thursday January 25 and will be opened exclusively during lunch on Monday January 22.

“I’m really excited for the book fair this week,” freshman Sara Whitmire said via email. “I’ve always loved reading, and book fairs are always a really good place to find books that are interesting and- most importantly- inexpensive. It’s really cool that this is the very first one, too, so everyone who participates will be part of the school’s history in a way. I figured book fairs were over and gone forever after elementary school, so I’m really happy that this blast from the past is back.”

In collaboration with the English department, the library has worked tirelessly to make this book fair possible. The book fair is designed to arouse an interest of reading in all students.

“Mrs. Reyna and I were talking about what would make our students more motivated to read at the end of last school year,” English teacher Ms. Amanda Barnes said via email. “We remembered how excited everyone used to get about book fairs in elementary school, so we thought it would be super cool to try to bring that back at the high school level.”

For some finding the right book can be a long process, which has prevented some students from enjoying reading. The book fair is a way to help students find that special book that sparks that love of reading.

“I am a firm believer that everyone can find a book they enjoy,” librarian Mrs. Sharayah Warren said via email. “When someone says they don’t like to read, I believe they just haven’t found the right one. The act of reading isn’t the issue; the book selections they are making are. The book fair can help with this because there will be a plethora of genres and authors.  These books will be hand selected by the Phoenix Book Company based upon trends and statistics for high school students.”

The wide range of trending titles and genres picked just for teens comes at an affordable price. The books that will be available are about 20% to 60% cheaper than big box stores, ranging from $5 to $12 with tax already included and no additional fees.

“The super cool thing about the Phoenix Book Company, who is doing the book fair for us, is that they have really awesome book choices for very affordable prices,” Barnes said. “It was important to all of us to make sure you guys could get the most bang for your buck when you visited the book fair! There are so many different genres and options that I think everyone can find something they like at the book fair. I know reading isn’t everyone’s absolute favorite thing, but that’s usually because students don’t have as much of a choice in the kinds of books they read. This is an opportunity to find something you’ll really love!”

More than just a vital skill in life, reading reveals truths about the reader. Events like book fairs that encourage youth to read provides opportunities to connect with literature on a deeper level and later recognize those themes in the world around them.

“First of all, reading is a skill that you’re going to use for the rest of your life,” Barnes said. “Whether you’re reading books, magazines, comics, applications, tax forms, advertisements, etc-you’re going to be reading! Second of all, reading is how people get to know each other, themselves, and the world. Reading gives you the chance to find a story of someone like you, even if no one else around you is similar. It gives you the chance to read about people who are completely different!  It lets you explore new ideas and places all from the comfort of the page. Reading makes us better people and lets us know more about being human!”

Reading appeals to people for different reasons. With each person having different interests, it is reasonable to assume that they are all drawn to reading for different reasons.

“It [reading] takes you away from everything,” freshman Ley Maish said. “I like the Throne of Glass series. It is a mix of assassins, fairies, and fantasy. [The book fair is important] to get other people interested in books.”

A source of learning, reading exposes readers to various lifestyles, cultures, and experiences. The book fair provides students with the chance to learn outside of their own lives. Students can take advantage of the benefits of reading by shopping at the book fair.

“Reading has so many benefits – it makes us smarter, more creative, reduces stress and entertains,” instructional specialist Mrs. Paula Auble said via email. “It helps quiet our minds and teaches us focus and clarity.  In this fast-pace digital world, sitting down with a quiet book would do wonders for many teens. A great way to utilize the book fair is to go in with a friend and each buy a different book, and then after reading, swap with your friend and read their book. Then talk about them! Try reading something new, and keep looking for what interests you. Not everyone wants to read science fiction, or romance novels. There is so much variety out there.”

Only cash and cards will be accepted at checkout. Items such as bookmarks, magnets, and posters will also be available for purchase. The book fair will be open in the community room at the front of the school on Tuesday January 23 to Thursday January 25 during all lunches and after school until 3:35 p.m. and will also be opened Monday January 22 during lunch. Backpacks are not allowed inside the book fair.