Students, Teachers Look Back at 9/11

Smoke+pours+from+the+twin+towers+of+the+World+Trade+Center+in+New+York+City.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Students, Teachers Look Back at 9/11

Smoke pours from the twin towers of the World Trade Center in New York City.

Robert Giroux, Getty Images.

Robert Giroux, Getty Images.

Robert Giroux, Getty Images.

Anya Schedin, Staff Writer

17 years ago on, September 11th, the terrorist organization al-Qaeda attacked the Twin Towers in New York and the Pentagon in Virginia by hijacking 4 airplanes. Nearly 3,000 people were killed in these attacks, making it the most fatal terrorist attack in American history.

In today’s world, high schoolers were not alive or were very small when these attacks occured.  “It’s obviously hard because I’ll never know what it feels like to feel that loss and tragedy,”  Verrado High Freshman Jessica Schacher said.. “I’ve learned a lot by watching videos in history class, but that doesn’t even come close to how my parents feel about that day.”

VHS Social Studies teacher Jed Littrell believes it’s important to teach students about this event that they did not live through–and about background surrounding the attacks. “It is very important to teach students about 9/11.  Almost everybody has seen the images and videos of the actual attack, but too many people do not understand why were attacked and how life has changed since 9/11,” Littrell said. “It is also very important when teaching 9/11 to teach tolerance,, and to clarify the differences between mainstream Muslims and radicalized Muslims. “

However, the fact that students did not live through 9/11 does not make the event unique in the academic world of history. Students being too young to remember 9/11 has absolutely no impact on my teaching the topic. Students weren’t alive for the 1950s, or 1860s, or 1780s either.” VHS Social Studies teacher Christopher Haak said, “The goal of my classes are to help students develop historical thinking skills that allow them to think critically about any topic.”

Robert Giroux, Getty Images.