Army Changes PT Test

The local US Army recruitment offices in Goodyear, Arizona.

Noah Weber

Noah Weber

Noah Weber, Staff Writer

The US Army has revealed plans to change their physical fitness test for applicant recruits. Altered standards were released to the public on their official website at https://www.army.mil/article/193953/ .

The army has changed the test’s basic exercises of push ups, sit ups, and a two mile run, to include a deadlift, weighted 250m sprint, power throw, leg tucks, and  t-push-ups, while keeping the two mile run. The Army has also proposed the idea of changing the differing standards. Previously test scores were differentiated between age and gender; the new test however will split standards based on occupation instead.

Ben Lacey is a Verrado student and a son of an Army Military Policeman. Dikzzy Fernandez is a former Verrado student looking into a military career. Retired Corporal Ron Hill served in the Army and has a good amount to say about the new test. They all had varying ideas on the current version of the test, and what it ought to look like.

Lacey said he had “sort of” heard of the current P.T. test, and also that he “had not” heard of the proposed revisions to it. “It’s pretty fair” he said in reference to the changes. “If you’re gonna be deployed you’ll have to carry your own weight.” Hill said that “when I was in, it was the standard push-ups and sit-ups and two mile run,” but he also said “I think it’s ok. I understand needing to be able to drag someone. The T push ups and stuff, not too big on but overall it’s ok.”

Lacey remarked that “men and women should be different,” in regards to the test’s gender neutrality. Fernandez said the test “got a lot more physical” and added “I think it’s unfair, sure people want it to be equal but men are built differently and have more physical strength women cannot reach in certain cases.” About the neutrality Hill said “most women can’t perform physically the same as a man can” and that “all they did was lower the standard, so women could keep up.”

When asked if soldiers would have to change they way they train, Lacey said “Nope–boot camp prepares you for the worst” when. Fernandez said that new recruits will have to change the way they train “because that’s the only way they can meet the standard. As far as changing training goes Hill said that “You should focus mentally as to why you’re doing it compared to being physically ready.” and that “you will find that if you’re mentally prepared you can challenge yourself physically and that’s what I found to be the hardest part of it all.”

Noah Weber