The Aftermath of September 11, 2001

Brynna Benjamin, Editor in Chief

Verrado teachers recall the tragic events that happened 18 years ago on Sept. 11, 2001. America may have been bruised by outside forces but instead of breaking they came together as one to create a stronger barrier. 

Social studies teacher Erin Eisen said, she was able to remember the upset more than anything else, “the fact that it happened was shocking and trying to figure out why it was happening”.  

“The most impactful thing is the days and weeks following was people showing pictures of their loved ones trying to find them.”

On Sept. 12, 2001, “it was like the whole country was quiet and angry. There was a lot of blue in the sky because there were no airplanes,” Eisen said. “It is interesting, Pres. Bush said there was a ‘blood lust’, Americans came together and they wanted justice for who did this to us.” 

Social studies teacher Scott Kniesel said,  “The amount of patriotism after [was most memorable], you have never seen America unite as much as it did afterward.”

“I think it’s important to remember for two reasons, the same reason it is important to remember pearl harbor, its apart of our national memory, it tells us why we went to war,” Eisen said.

Kniesel said, “It shows us what real evil is, too often today people are offended and assume everyone is out to get them, [Sept. 11] was true evil.” 

Due to Sept. 11, the world had changed, security measures have never been more strict, Eisen brings up how children these days will never stand at the gate to witness their mothers leave in an airplane. Department of Homeland Security was created a year after these events because of the fear that came from the event. 

Eisen explains that at a high school level this event no longer needs to be discussed every year because high schoolers do not need to heal from this tragedy, however, it is an important event that should not be forgotten. 

“It is important for students to know even though they don’t have the national memory, those of us who were around witnesses 3,000 people die but not only did we witness people die we witnessed their families suffer, the firefighters in New York are still receiving treatment.” 

Kniesel said, “It is something you don’t want to relive but something you shouldn’t forget.”