Good at video games? One university will give you a scholarship!

Did you know that there is a university that will give you a scholarship for just playing a game? Crazy right?  

Connor Priest, Staff Writer

We all have seen, touched, or even played a video game, there are probably a lot of people who love video games, who doesn’t? Well did you know that there is a university that will give you a scholarship for just playing a game? Crazy right?  

At the University of Akron in Illinois they are creating some of the most state-of-the-art eSports programs, such as Fortnite, and League of Legends so they dedicated most of the school’s fundings to eSports programs. They realize that gaming makes big bucks, so they created a whole new class, dedicated to all gamers around. A student by the name of Tyler Belvins has made 10 million dollars in 2018 by just streaming himself playing Fortnite. It is said that the industry is expected to grow by 1.5 million dollars by 2021. This has started a chain reaction of other universities to also start investing in eSports programs, giving students a chance to do something they weren’t able to do before. This has definitely opened a new world for people all around, gives a chance for people to be who they truly want to be.

Just in the last year, over 1600 students applied for 53 spots, “A lot of the research has shown that the more students are engaged with activities on campus, the greater likelihood they are going to stay in school,” says Nate Meeker, the coordinator of eSports at the University of Akron. There are many things happening around the world right now, people resort to video games as a distraction or entertainment, so it’s a good thing for universities to accept this past time activity with open arms!