No one likes group projects, let’s get rid of them!

Why Group Projects need to go.

Angelique Garcia-Barajas, Op/Ed Editor

“This will be a group project.”

These words have the power to ruin someone’s entire week. As soon as the teacher says the word “group”, I’m sure they can feel the anxious aura flowing from each student. Who likes getting lumped with a few people you don’t know? Perhaps you were fortunate enough to pick your members, but just because they are your friends does that mean you’ll work well together?  You have to put trust and faith into other people, and whether they fulfill the standard will affect your grade. 

I find that I work way better by myself. I am way more comfortable when all the responsibility is on me. I do not have to worry about if the others are doing their work or not. This feeling of anxiety is not only experienced by me. Studies show that there is roughly a 50/50 split between introverts and extroverts (common introversion, 2019). If half the class is going to have a hard time because the odds are not in their favor, then the education system is failing them.  Yes, I know group projects are a thing because teachers want us to collaborate but let’s be real here; how many times have you just sat awkwardly with your group not talking about anything? Chances are, it has happened 1 too many times. Which defeats the ‘collaboration’ aspect the curriculum desires. Wasting time and effort of both teachers and students.  Especially during this time, collaboration over computer screens is not going to be effective. It’s possibly even more awkward on the internet for some.

Not all students are built the same. You’re going to have a slacker that does not want to do anything except reap all the benefits. Maybe you’ll have someone controlling, who bosses everyone else around and does not listen. Whatever your experience may be, the majority of it is probably pretty negative.

What about those with underlying issues? When it is more than just preferring individual work. Anxiety is the most common disorder in America, with 15 million adults suffering from social anxiety.  This makes it even more difficult to work with others. Autism affects social abilities as well, ao what are these unfortunate students supposed to do when the standards are against their abilities? They are simply forgotten in times like this and forced to deal with it themselves.

If schools believe it’s vital to learn collaboration skills, then simply have assignments or projects that require comments from others. This requires collaboration in a much more comfortable way. We must adapt as the world changes, and in these times group projects are for the past.