Will Your Still Be Friends after High School?

Denali Roman

More stories from Denali Roman

friendship

Less than 1 in 10 high school friendships last beyond the 12th grade, generally fizzling out a year or two after graduation. Throughout our journey of being human, we develop relationships with other people. It is our nature, yet how those relationships affect us is the true value we take out. Whether it is healthy and beneficial or toxic and detrimental. It’s the reality of being a teen and the normalization of how we treat one another, which is unfortunate. 

The standards of school-related friendships have had numerous negative effects with jealousy, peer pressure, and fear being top traits in a popularity contest. By shutting people down of their true feelings or intentions and closing their true identity, it forces unnecessary standards on not only today’s youth but other youth to come. Once graduation rolls around many are trapped in a confused state of how to behave as they lost their true self with their time in high school. After losing themselves people don’t know which identity to use in the real world since they’ve had to use multiple personas to interact with the high variety of people in school. 

In life, those who choose to move on with a future evolve their ways of thinking and behavior. This is commonly influenced by changes in their life, depending on jobs or colleges and even people they meet on a day-to-day basis. It takes a toll on those around them, while some are understanding as they have matured vs those who are stuck in their “glory days.” Failure to mature affects relationships; continuing to make poor decisions as they once did in their youth instead of moving on from their old status in high school.

People haven’t dissolved the social standards that set them up for failure in the real world; instead, they have moved to integrate the ideology of high school caste systems into the workplace. As species who claim evolution, we have failed to evolve our way of treatment to one another. Closeting people of their true feelings and intentions, closing off the true identity of others, forcing unnecessary standards on today’s youth.