How Do You Cope With Stress?

February 16, 2022

Students+struggle+with+stress+even+after+preparing+for+tests+and+assignments.+

Kristi Studts

Students struggle with stress even after preparing for tests and assignments.

Recently I have been feeling very overwhelmed and stressed with what is being thrown at me. Getting home from school and immediately having to get ready for work or trying to stay on top of all my school work. All of this had built up and made it very hard for me to focus on one thing at a time when I had all these tasks and responsibilities roaming in my head. 

So I started to research the ways to manage my stress as a teenager. I had come to find out all the top reasons why teenagers tend to stress themselves out and what they specifically stress over. While reading, I learned that one of the most common reasons for stress in teens is over school and inside thoughts. I found this to be interesting because these are the main reasons I have been feeling stressed. 

With the information I had gathered, I wondered or wanted to find ways to help reduce or prevent myself from feeling this way. I understand that it is okay to feel stressed, but it is important to also learn how to manage and try to overcome what is bringing you stress. 

I learned that some ways that you can prevent stress could be as simple as making sure to eat stable meals, having a consistent sleep schedule, and making sure not to over-consume caffeine. Within my research, I came across meditation and breaking down your task to where you can focus on one specific thing at a time. With the overwhelming amount of tasks and everything else that has been bringing me stress, I have been trying to improve myself in the areas that I need to maintain. I tried to limit the caffeine intake I was consuming, which can cause my stress levels to rise. I also liked the idea of focusing on one thing at a time. I feel that there is only so much that we as teenagers can control. I feel it is necessary to come to terms with what I am being overwhelmed with and narrow it down to smaller issues that I can fix or eliminate from the back of my mind. 

With that, I’ve come to the conclusion that teens are commonly the most stressed out, at least I am not the only one who feels this way. With an open mind, trying to find ways to prevent my stress, I have started to feel a decline in my stress levels. I think the one thing that has been helping me the most is meditating and trying to focus on one thing at a time. So I say that if you too are feeling stressed, test the waters, figure out what will help and what will not. It is important to maintain your stress and take the time you need for yourself. After all, we have our whole lives to stress ourselves out. The teenage years should not be remembered as the most stressful years of your life. You are only a teenager for so long and it is important to have fun while you can!

Stress Management: Tips and Tricks to Help with the Chaos of a New School Year

Molly Strebig

Organization can help with stress management at high school.

Starting a new school year can always be stressful, no matter what grade you’re going into. Sometimes, the stress can get a little out of hand, and since many students haven’t been back since the 2020 school year due to Covid-19, the feeling of starting back up can be overwhelming. If this applies to you, you’re not alone and there are things you can do to help the stress!

Although the first few weeks of school are mainly filled with introductions to subjects, the work may pile up for some, but staying organized might help this situation. Being organized isn’t always easy for everyone, but sometimes you just need to find what works for you. Some might benefit from keeping a to-do list on their phone or a notepad. This is helpful because writing or typing down what you need to accomplish can help the brain to remember these tasks so they don’t slip your mind. This can also help you establish an order/routine in which you want to accomplish those things. So, if you have a lot to get done, you might want to consider writing it down as a healthy way for your brain to remember!

If lists aren’t necessarily your cup of tea, that’s okay because there are also other options. Perhaps you might want to try time management/self-discipline. If you have a lot of things to do or are falling behind in schoolwork, a good way to help that is to schedule time for yourself to get work done. For example, if you have lots of English homework to do and feel overwhelmed, find a time you aren’t busy, and schedule a certain amount of time to go into a calm space, like your room, and get to work. You could even set a timer so when it goes off you can take a break and see how much you’ve accomplished in that time period. Self-discipline also plays a key role in this, whether you use it to make sure you stick to your schedule, stay on task, limit any distractions or all of the above. When you use these tools, it helps your brain to stay focused and hold you accountable if you don’t. 

Now that you have a few tools to help manage your work, it’s important to remember to take care of yourself as well. Sometimes the stress of school can become too much, and it’s hard to remember to schedule time for yourself too. When this happens, it might help to take a deep breath and remember mental health is a top priority. School may be important, but so is maintaining a healthy mindset. Keeping all of this in mind, hopefully, it helps you to have a breezy start to the year, and these tips may help you throughout the school year as well!