Preparing to Leave High School

Angelina Cabrera

More stories from Angelina Cabrera

As graduation day approaches, I find myself struggling to come to terms with the fact that this is my last year of high school.   Although my high school years have had their better days and some not-so-better days, in the end, it’s becoming harder and harder to accept the fact that they are drawing to a close.  Along with the realization that my childhood is also coming to an end, the stress of committing to a college and setting the path for the rest of my life has also been weighing down on me.  Thankfully, there are a few things that have helped me ease the stress of this transition.  Hopefully, some of these tips help other seniors struggling with this transition or for anyone stuck in a tough spot in life. 

Realizing that my childhood is coming to an end has been something I’ve struggled to accept.  Growing up I couldn’t wait to graduate and move forward with my life.  Now that it’s finally time to do that, I find myself missing my younger years and life as an elementary/middle schooler.  This feeling of longing for the past can be a very powerful one.  But, one thing that helps me move past this feeling is spending time with my family.  Although you can’t get everything back from your childhood, you do have your family and the memories you made with them.  Something as simple as watching a movie or helping cook dinner with them can bring a sense of calmness that tends to help the feeling of uncertainty for the future and longing for the past.  

Although it is not the only option, many students choose to attend college after high school.  Whether it be a two or four-year college, the stress that comes along with the decision to further your education is the same.  From the economic side of it to the mental, choosing a path for yourself after high school can be overwhelming, to say the least.  While it’s easy to get lost in this feeling, it is important to remember to take a step back and give yourself a break.  Taking time for yourself to help improve your mental health and the way you feel towards the situation can be an extremely vital part of how you will succeed.  Something that I like to do is listen to music and feel the things I need to feel.  By this, I mean really understanding the emotion you feel towards moving forward.  Whether it be fear of the future and what a new school has to hold for you or the sadness of leaving the school that has shaped you into the person you are today, it’s important to let that feeling sink in. But, it is also just as important to push yourself to find a remedy for these mixed emotions.  While it’s easy to feel like you’re the only one who feels this way, more than likely someone else is going through the same thing as you.  Reaching out and talking to friends and family is also a great way to cope with these feelings of uncertainty and stress.  

Going through the motions of beginning a new chapter in your life can be a lot to handle.  But, doing things that help you cope with this is key to setting yourself up to prosper and make it through the questionable times.