Categories:

Verrado Boys Golf Off to A Great Start

Abraham Lopez starting off the tournament with a crushing drive down the fairway.
Easton Romero

As the school year kicks off, sports are getting into full swing, and the Verrado Boys Varsity Golf team is already off to an awesome start. At Verrado High School, the golf team is known for being one of the sports that consistently performs well. Being close to two large golf courses and with many students living right here in Verrado, there are plenty of opportunities for practice and success.

Golf is unique because it’s an individual sport, where your score really matters, and when combined with others, it contributes to the team’s overall performance. Golf has a long history, often passed down through generations, with many families sharing their love for the game as fathers take their sons to the course.

While golf may seem slow and small compared to other sports, there’s something strategic about it that keeps these students coming back. It gets them outside, away from their phones, and enjoying the fresh air. For the Verrado golf team, it’s just another day out on the course.

Verrado’s golf team has seen success over the years and is looking to continue that tradition this year. With some new faces on the team and experienced players helping those who are less familiar with the sport or the pressure of being on varsity, the team is set for a strong season.

The Verrado Boys Varsity Golf team poses for a team photo at a local course. (Easton Romero)

One of the key players on varsity is Abraham Lopez, who has been playing for Verrado for a while now. When asked why he plays and if he enjoys it, he said, “I enjoy playing golf, especially for the school. My teammates and the game itself make it fun. It’s nice to see new faces on varsity because it shows that kids are still interested in golf.” Abraham is right—golf at Verrado is still going strong and hasn’t lost its appeal.

Of course, a good team also needs a good coach, and Coach McQuade has been leading the golf team for three years. He’s been there to support and build the Vipers, helping to rebuild the team each season, giving students a real chance to develop their skills, and creating strong team bonds.

Like any good team, there’s always room to get better. Abraham mentioned, “Something we can improve on is the green.” In golf, the green is the area closest to the hole, and getting better there just takes practice. The team will work on it and figure it out.

The team has performed well performed well in their last two matches with upperclassmen stepping up as leaders. Let’s hope we continue to see them achieve great things this season.