Senior Ditch Day

Caleb Balos
Verrado’s Senior Ditch Day will be November 27th where they are planning to meet at a cafe in Flagstaff, Arizona.

Senior ditch day has been an American tradition for a long time and skipping school in general has been a thing since the 1930’s; but why?

Senior Ditch Day gained popularity when the movie Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was released on July 11th, 1986, and the whole movie was based around the fun and exciting things that come with ditching high school.

Verrado’s Ditch Day is coming up and it’s coming up fast. On the Verrado Senior Assassins’ Instagram, students posted that Senior Ditch Day will be on November 27th.

They also posted a plan to meet at Dutch Bros On Estrella Parkway at 9 a.m. and then go to Toasted Owl Cafe at noon which is in Flagstaff.

A lot of students are choosing to go do their own thing, however. Some may be going with that plan, but so far, most of the seniors are discussing their plans.

Whitney Lee is a Security Guard at Verrado High School and this is what she had to say on Senior Ditch Day. “I agree with it I mean you’ve gone to school all year it’s like one day where everybody gets to kind of get together and enjoy it. It’s a tradition and it’s one day, you’re a senior so.”

Even those who keep the school in check believe in this tradition and see nothing wrong with it. It’s simply a tradition that has been going on for centuries and teenagers love it.

However, a lot of seniors won’t be participating in senior ditch day because of absences adding up. A lot of students skip all throughout the year so they miss out on the one day where all seniors ditch.

It sucks that a good amount of seniors will be at school on November 27th while all other seniors are out having fun, but that’s the price they have to pay.

For all future seniors, go to school, and don’t skip class, especially senior year. It’s the most important year and no one wants to miss out on Senior Ditch Day. Many students have wanted all of high school for that day because of the long high school years.

When asked if she thought there would be a lot of seniors participating, Athena Armijo who is a senior at VHS said, “Probably not due to the rest of their absences because let’s be honest, a lot of us don’t show up”.

When asked if she would be participating, she said “Yes, because who doesn’t want to participate in that. It’s going to be fun no matter what we are doing”.

This shows how much students are excited to participate and get one day off. All the seniors get to get together and plan something just for them.

If students have too many absences they should stay in school on November 27th but that seems so unfair because they skipped all year and can’t the one day when everyone else is skipping.

Although there may be different kinds of opinions on this day, students deserve that one day and the teachers don’t have to put up with the students for one day so it’s like a break for both sides.

Senior Ditch Day also means that the school won’t be as crowded as usual so students have more room to walk around and get to classes easier. It’s a win-win for everyone.

After the past three years of high school every day and all the assignments and projects, it will be nice for all the seniors to get together while the other grades are at school and just to mellow out and have fun.

Senior Ditch Day is one of the most anticipated days for high schoolers, especially seniors.