Combatting Senioritis

Joel Hernandez and Josh Lopez model the typical senioritis behaviors.

Leah Melessa, Staff Writer

The first semester of your senior year is great. The excitement of the Friday night lights and school spirit reassures you that graduation is still a whole school year away, and for now, your only worry is what dress you’ll wear to homecoming, or what you’ll do after tonight’s football game. The ACTs and SATs are behind you– that was a junior-year you’s problem. “This year will be a breeze,” you think to yourself. And it is, so much so, that you sail straight through Winter Break and past the Holidays. But as the weather gets warmer and graduation creeps around the corner, you might begin to worry about your future plans once you turn the tassel. You find yourself applying for scholarships, filling out forms, and even picking up extra shifts at work to save money for college. All the while, your grades start to slip. At this point, school seems optional, and for some, a nuisance.

Senioritis, according to the Oxford Language Dictionary, is “a supposed affliction of students in their final year of high school or college, characterized by a decline in motivation or performance.” In other words, Senioritis is the plague of disinterest that infects the majority of the senior class. If you’ve been infected, a typical day might look similar to this: waking up, rolling out of bed 15 minutes before school actually starts, zoning out (or sleeping) through the majority of your classes, going home, and repeating that same routine until graduation. In severe cases, Senioritis might affect the desire to maintain your social life, resulting in serious mental health issues. Fortunately, there are some tricks to help you stay focused and flourish until graduation.

Prioritizing mental health is very important, especially for young adults who are entering a world with an endless, sometimes overwhelming amount of possibilities. Keeping yourself grounded is crucial to your success in school. This can be done through relaxing activities such as meditation or yoga. You can follow tutorials or routines on platforms like Youtube or TikTok to find the right fit for you. Meditation has been proven to relieve stress and anxiety, and even clear your headspace.

Additionally, talking to your school counselor is highly encouraged when dealing with Senioritis. Perhaps the cause of your stressor is the fact that you don’t know what to do with your life, or maybe it’s that you do, but the question is if you really want to. Either way, school counselors are here to help. Email your counselor for additional help with securing your plan after high school. Keep in mind that there are multiple routes that you can take to achieve your goal, so be open to options and possibilities!

Physical health is just as important as mental health. Oftentimes, stress and anxiety take a huge toll on your energy levels. Try yoga and meditation exercises to keep your physical and spiritual well-being in check. Local yoga courses are available within the community, but a lot of exercises can be found online, off video platforms like YouTube. Additionally, typical exercise, such as cardio, releases endorphins that naturally boost your mood, relieving stress and anxiety that might be caused by school or work. Just like the yoga courses, exercises can also be found online, ranging from mild to difficult. Find whatever workout that is best for you, and stick with it!