Breaking News

BanterBuddies Episode 2: Romance Movies Perfect for Valentines Day
BanterBuddies Episode 2: Romance Movies Perfect for Valentine's Day
Hannah Bruce, Allison Rospierski, and Aria Anderson February 15, 2024

Today we talk about our top three favorite romance movies to watch with your friends and loved ones during the season of love.

The person behind the profile picture might not be who they say they are, and online dating apps are an easy way for bad actors to meet up with unsuspecting young people.
Gen Z And The Dangerous Relationship With Online Dating
Alexa Simpson, Staff Writer • March 1, 2024

With the privilege of about 97% of the American population owning a cell phone, it makes it possible for one to create personal relationships...

Many Sephora locations are struggling with the take over of young teens and tweens.
Sephora Kids Gone Wild
Alyssa Chavez, Staff Writer • February 2, 2024

A new alarming trend is capturing TikTok's attention with 9 to 11-year-olds raiding Sephoras around the U.S. Little girls are going to Sephora...

Student at Verrado Highschool scrolling on Tik Tok during class instruction
Tik Tok Is Ruining Your Life
Olivia Moran and Ariel Bolich February 1, 2024

Clean girl or downtown girl? Positive or negative canthal tilt? Low or high visual weight? Kids nowadays are asking themselves these questions,...

Meet the Staff
Julian Fernandez
Julian Fernandez
Staff Writer

Born in Cincinnati Ohio during the month of July. Julian grew up in Oceanside California, now living in Glendale Arizona. The young man is just trying to graduate, with hopes of seeing a career in...

In this picture Ariel is at Taylor Swift, The Eras Tour in Santa Clara, California!
Ariel Bolich
Staff Writer

Ariel was born and raised in California and moved to Arizona in 2021. While in California, she spent most of her time with friends and family as well as playing basketball and volleyball in middle school....

Why Can’t People Focus on Long-Form Content Anymore?

Alexa Simpson
Social media addictions and overconsumption can lower a person’s attention span.

After years of evolutionary advancement, mankind’s attention spans are getting smaller and smaller at an alarming rate, so much so that humans are being compared to goldfish. It is said that social media is to blame, however, there are multiple different ways to stay attentive and focused on activities and tasks, while social media provides a type of instant gratification that keeps focused and attentive.

The reason why people think that attention spans among kids and adults are going down is because of the rise of social media and short-form content. Before social media platforms like Instagram and Tik Tok came to be, long-form content on YouTube or in movie theaters was the best form of entertainment. Now, it seems that videos under three minutes or less are the ideal length for content.

So, why can’t people focus on long-form content anymore? Well, it is not that people cannot focus on long-form content anymore, it is that people are too lazy to focus on long-form content.

The simplicity and availability of having and using a cell phone comes so naturally that people have grown to be lazy when it comes to entertainment, some might not even recognize this as a lazy habit. This is especially common among the younger generations. Gen Z, and now Gen Alpha, have the privilege of growing up with a device in hand. It is often forgotten that a cell phone is a privilege, not a right. When posts about lowering attention spans go viral, consumers start to think because they enjoy scrolling endlessly through social media rather than watching a movie or participating in a hobby of theirs, that they must have a short attention span as well. Therefore, the problem is that many people are so used to going on their phones for entertainment that they see hobbies or even movies as redundant.

So how can society learn to put down their cell phones and do something better and worthwhile with their time? Firstly, a level of discipline needs to be implemented within ourselves. Being able to tell yourself no and putting down your phone instead of picking it up is a reflex and a habit that can be broken with time. Any time spent doing something productive like getting work done or doing an activity is better than watching quick clips online. Nevertheless, you’re never truly free of all distractions.

Screens pose as a unique and easily available device of distractibility, with their constant flow of notifications and information. The internet was designed to capitalize on how people think and interact with electronics, so it’s not a surprise that we are drawn to it. People have developed an incessant need to check their phones for any notifications all throughout the day, and sometimes can even feel anxious if they haven’t checked their notifications in a little while.

Human brains want newness, excitement, and social connection, and devices provide just those desires. Seeing a notification flashing across your screen can provide a small hit of dopamine, creating a sense of reward that keeps one coming back for more. However, the internal reward of pursuing your hobbies and being free from your phone is much more rewarding.