Bond Brings Needed Upgrades to Verrado

Improvements and changes are on the way to Verrado!
Allison Rospierski

A big announcement was revealed recently from the Agua Fria district about a bond to improve all the schools in the district, they announced many plans for Verrado High School in the upcoming years. They have a timeline of when these will be completed however these are subject to change if there are any obstacles the builds teams face along the way.

There are two categories of projects. Promised projects and critical needs projects. The Critical needs will be done first before the promised ones, due to the critical projects needing to be done more urgently hence the title name.

The projects that are set for completion in the Summer of 2025 are pretty long. First off some maintenance work around the school. It is for plumping, heat, cooling, and electrical systems. This is just a mandatory thing the school needs to do to make sure everything is working. A viper student says, “I’m glad maintenance is happening so there won’t be any disturbances during class, like the room being too hot, distracting people from their learning environment.”
Now for the exciting bits. One of the improvements promised in the year 2025 is new parking spaces! It’s quite obvious looking at the student parking lots that it’s very crowded. Viper states, “I hope they had a ton of spots, it’s always so packed in the morning and dismissal!”. Another improvement that is scheduled during this time is the repair and modernization of collaborative workspaces along with the cafeteria seating. The cafe seating outside is damaged, looking at them by this point it’s clear they are dented and worn. Other collaborative areas seem run down too and overall it would be good for a revamp. It also could be said everything is a little out today so a new look would be a nice touch. The last one set for 2025 goes with the plumbing maintenance it bathroom improvements! Making the bathrooms nicer, perhaps making so more bathrooms open up to use.

In the summer of 2026 the enhancements of security and making repairs on the Performing Arts Center. The repairs of the performance art center are a critical need project while the security project is listed as both a promised and critical project. This makes sense due to the safety of students and staff should be one of the main concerns for a district. More fences, weapons detectors, and cameras are promised. Along with the new installations of window film to make the lobby secure as stated by the district. But as a whole, the high school would be secure as well. On the other hand with the Art Center repair it is speculated that they are talking about the auditorium to fix all the imperfections. Which of course all the theater kids are excited about.

Now that’s all projects that directly affect Verrado High School. But other improvements are happening to upgrade the district as a whole. One that has been ongoing is workforce academics, which is presumed to help students with their future jobs. There are two projects set for completion in 2024. Both are equally as important one of them being buses in the spring, presuming that the buses project means improvement or buying more buses. Either way, it would help the district to make sure the buses are up to par. The other is technological advancements, which are pretty broad but could be in a range of beneficial things like new laptops, better Wi-Fi, new software, and so much more. Which is set to complete in the summer of 2024. Finally, the less district-wide project is set for the summer of 2025, which is high school number six in the Agua Fria district. It’s a 55-acre campus located in Goodyear on the northwest corner of Cotton Lane and Van Buren. Now there has been speculation about what the result will look like and what the name colors and mascot may be. Agua Fria wants to know your input on this as well with a survey being on the aguafria.org website to receive opinions of the public. This high school will also help with overpopulation problems with the other schools in the district, giving students the option of high school to go to. All of these projects districtwide are under the promise projects label.

With all these improvements, the district will grow stronger and be safer for all students to attend their respective high schools. Especially with Verrado with all the changes that are needed. The school could finally grow more than it hasn’t been able to in the past couple of years.