Basketball Tryouts

Viper Boys basketball team practicing for the season during tryouts in the gym.

Vipers, basketball season is just around the corner. With boys tryouts starting from October 30th and lasting until November 1st, with the largest turnout ever, 78 students who are passionate about the sport have signed up to put in their all this upcoming season. Arjay Acosta added that these tryouts were intense. “There was a lot of conditioning and running to see who was in shape for the season.”

Coach Marks was interviewed about the startup season and his plans for the teams this year. He was asked how many teams he wanted to have and he stated, “There will be a Varsity, JV, and Sophomore/Freshman team. Coach wants to keep “ 12-14 players on each team”

There are about 78 students cleared to try out this season, this is the most students they’ve had to try out for the season. Arjay was disappointed with some students who didn’t make tryouts though: “I was expecting a little bit more because everyone was saying they were going to try out and “make the team better” but none of them came out.”

Coach Marks expressed his disappointment as well expecting a higher turnout. [There were] “definitely more kids than last year, but that’s because of the incoming freshman. There were overall 60 incoming freshmen that showed up.”

We interviewed Samson Chabala about what inspired him to play basketball in and out of school. Chabala stated he “enjoys the sport and enjoys being happy on the court, he has family who plays.”

Joining a basketball team in high school can help you make more friends because you’ll be spending a lot of time together practicing, playing games, and cheering each other on.

A basketball team in high school is a fantastic way to stay active and improve your physical fitness. Basketball involves running, jumping, and quick movements, which can enhance your cardiovascular endurance, strength, and agility.

Regular practices and games will keep you engaged in physical activity, helping you maintain a healthy lifestyle and improve your overall fitness level.

Being a part of a team in high school can teach you valuable skills like teamwork, communication, and leadership. As part of a team, you’ll learn how to work together, communicate effectively on the court, and support each other’s strengths.

You’ll also have the opportunity to develop leadership skills by taking on responsibilities and guiding your teammates. These skills will not only benefit you in basketball but also in other areas of your life.

Joining a basketball team in high school can boost your self-confidence in several ways. As you improve your skills and contribute to the team’s success, you’ll gain a sense of accomplishment and belief in your abilities.

The support and encouragement from teammates and coaches will help build self-esteem. Overcoming challenges and pushing yourself on the court will also give a sense of resilience and confidence that can extend beyond basketball.

Playing a sport in high school allows students to experience the thrill of competition by going head-to-head with other teams. The adrenaline rush, the excitement of close games, and the satisfaction of victory create unforgettable moments on the court. Competing against skilled opponents pushes you to improve, develop resilience, and showcase your skills.

Joining the Verrado basketball team in high school gives students the chance to represent your school spirit by proudly wearing Verrado’s colors and competing against other schools. A team that represents your school in games and tournaments, showcasing your skills and dedication.

Sports in high school creates an opportunity to receive expert coaching and guidance. You’ll have experienced coaches who can help improve your skills, teach you proper techniques, and provide valuable feedback.

They’ll guide you through practices, help you develop strategies, and support your growth as a player. Their expertise will contribute to your development as a basketball player and enhance your overall performance on the court.

Joining a basketball team in high school can create lasting memories as you bond with your teammates, experience thrilling games, and celebrate victories together.

From intense practices to unforgettable moments on the court, these shared experiences will form lifelong connections and memories that you’ll cherish for years to come.

Playing basketball in high school can be incredibly fun and exciting for you! You’ll get to be part of a team, compete in thrilling games, and experience the adrenaline rush of scoring points and making great plays.

The friendship with your teammates, the support from the crowd, and the joy of improving your skills will make it an unforgettable experience.

Bond over your shared love for the sport and create friendships that can last beyond the basketball court. It’s a great way to meet people who have similar interests and build connections with teammates who will support and encourage you both on and off the court.