A Look Into The Goth Subculture

Caleb Balos
Much of goth culture comes from many gothic bands who write about elements such as death, mental illness, and darker themes.

The Goth scene first started in the mid to late 1970s in England. It was born from the punk or the post-punk style of music and fashion. While Goth fashion is very memorable and iconic, the subculture is not fashion-based but rather music-based. It is a well-known fact in the community that if you don’t not listen to Gothic bands then you cannot call yourself a Goth.

The first full Goth song and band was Bauhaus with their song “Bela Lugosi is Dead” which was released in 1982. This 10-minute song discusses topics of death and depicts the passing of Bela Lugosi, who played Dracula in the 1931 adaptation of the movie.

Since the birth of the subculture, like its predecessors punk and post-punk, Goths have always strived to go against the norms of society and be as true to themselves as possible. Many people who felt outcasted and like they couldn’t fit in no matter what they did found a home in the Gothic scene. It allowed people to express themselves without the social rules and the fear that defined normal society.

Many people have joined the culture for many different reasons, such as feeling empowered, loving the music, and finding a community where they can feel at home.

Carlos Aguilar, CC BY-SA 3.0</a”>, via Wikimedia Commons

D Aguilar, who’s been in the Goth scene for a few years says, “I got into the Goth scene because I was already emo in middle school. Two of my siblings went through their emo phases when I was quite small and my mom always played music like Bauhaus, Siouxsie And The Banshees, and Goth-inspired bands like Evanescence. So it always seemed right, like I was meant to someday be Goth.”

Many Goths inspired their music and clothing from Gothic literature or Gothic architecture. Goth music also tended to explore darker and more depressing themes such as death, mental illness, and feelings of isolation and loneliness. While these darker themes are an important part of the history of Gothic culture, many Goth songs also explored happier ideas of love, freedom, and self-expression.

As the years passed, the Goth scene grew and so did its notoriety, for better and for worse. Many Goth people, especially Goth women, all agree that the way they dress gives them a lot of unwanted attention. Many people assume that because someone is Goth, they are scary, mean, or want to be objectified when that is far from the truth.

Hannah Thude, a Goth going to Verrado High School says “ People who aren’t used to seeing Goth people stare sometimes, especially older people. It’s also made me more confident, for the first time in a long time I feel like myself. The only issue that comes from it is how people interact with me based on their assumptions about me because I’m Goth.”

It’s not rare for someone to assume a Goth person worships satan or is an evil person just because they wear black and listen to heavier music. These misconceptions can cause a lot of harm. Many people have had to leave doing what they love in fear of others harming them.
While the Goth scene is beautiful with a rich history and culture, it can come with flaws due to people judging others based on their outward appearance.

19
View Comments (19)