You Should Be Joining a Club

Viviana Partida
Members representing book club during Club rush

It’s always a good idea to be engaged in clubs during high school. It helps students feel a sense of community and belonging while also giving them something fun to participate in with other students. Whether it’s fishing, art, or competitions Verrado High offers a large selection of clubs for students to choose from.

Clubs are always a great thing to consider, there’s a club for almost every interest. It allows students to mingle with others who have similar interests.

Not only that, but the clubs are flexible. While some extracurricular activities such as sports require a large commitment of time, the pressure isn’t there for most clubs.

Most clubs here at Verrado meet once or twice a week, with all of them ranging from 40 minutes to about an hour. If students are stressed from school work or just need a break, joining a casual club might just be the right decision.

Students who want to talk about their interests with others are in luck, with many clubs at this school being catered to niche topics for students to come together. A good example of this is the Nintendo Club. This club is for any student who enjoys video games, specifically all things Nintendo.

Whether it’s playing a game with other students or just discussing the latest releases, this club is meant for anyone who has a passion for video games.

Another example of an interest-tailored club would be the anime club. This club meets every Tuesday after school in Ms. Barnes’s room and welcomes anyone who enjoys watching and discussing all things anime.

Many clubs encourage students’ creativity. A prime example is the art club, this club offers just about anything art-related. It meets every other Thursday in Mr. Brown’s room. The art club specializes in creating an environment for students to create art while being surrounded by other creative students to brainstorm with.

This club doesn’t just keep students on campus, they also provide opportunities for students to attend art events and activities outside of school. Many of the activities include class projects, and even painting murals.

Stage Crew is a very diverse club with many different opportunities for students. When thinking of theater most people think of just acting on a stage, but there’s so much going on behind the scenes of planning plays and musicals, and that is the stage crew’s job.

The club offers stage crew options such as building and painting sets, creating props, and working on tech aspects such as lighting and sound. This club is run by Mrs. Spiegel and Mrs. Farrington.

The fencing club sponsor for fencing club Mr. Brown meets a scary clown that might’ve met their fencing match. (Courtesy of Kristi Studts & Viper Fencing)

A club that goes hand and hand with the stage crew is the theater club. This club meets every Wednesday in the black box with Mrs. Farrington and specializes in creating a space for theater students to gather and hang out together.

Anything theater and Broadway is welcome in this club. It creates a safe and comfortable environment for students to be themselves while being surrounded by like-minded people.

Aria Anderson has always been a part of the theater scene in this school. She says, “Theatre club is a very fun club. We get to do games, acting, and more. The community is very welcoming. I’m not into acting as much as I am with the backstage work, but the theatre club makes me feel comfortable. If theater interests you but you’re more of an introvert, it’s still a great club. Whether you’re a more outgoing person or a bit more shy, this club is a fun place to be!”

Casual clubs aren’t for everyone, some people want more of a commitment. The best way to do this is by joining a sport.

Although students are required to try out for sports, it’s always a good idea to try. Some people want a more active and physical extracurricular, sports are perfect for this. Verrado offers just a bit of everything from badminton, flag football, cross country, soccer, and much much more.

Allison Rosperski has been a student-athlete for over a decade, and this is what she has to say about Soccer. “I liked school soccer freshman year because it was such an amazing environment. The team on varsity was very welcoming to me and made me feel a part of the team quickly. I liked it because I got a lot of exercise and got out of my comfort zone socializing with the team a lot. There were many bonding moments/events and all the girls were very kind.”

All students should consider joining a club during their high school years. Joining clubs looks good on college applications, and sports can open up opportunities for scholarships. The benefits of clubs are very clear, so everyone should consider joining at least one.