College Letter Signing

Students+prepare+to+sign+their+letter+of+intent+at+a+recent+Verrado+High+School.+
Gabe Santiago
Students prepare to sign their letter of intent at a recent Verrado High School.

Students signing to college is a huge milestone event in their lives. Graduation from high school to college is one of the biggest jumps in difficulty and maturity a person can take in their whole life. The signing on Monday, November 20th represents even more than just the graduation from high school to college as this was for students committed to playing sports at a college level.

For the 3 students who signed today, it was a moment of great accomplishment. Continuing one’s athletic career from high school to college is no easy goal. With the level of competition and skill required growing more and more, this just goes to show how much hard work and dedication these girls have put into their work.

Verrado High School held the ceremony in the auditorium on Monday, November 20, 2023. The student athletes each had their tables set up, with each decorating with the colors from the college they committed to. Before each student signed their letter, each coach was given the opportunity to give a meaningful speech about their time with the students, and what they accomplished together over the years. After each coach spoke, the athletes themselves were given the opportunity to speak and show their gratitude and appreciation to everyone who has supported them. The athletes expressed their thankfulness to their families, friends, teachers, coaches, and any role models that have helped them achieve their goals.

Raechelle Dykstra signed her letter of intent to play volleyball at Gonzaga this fall. (Gabe Santiago)

These goals would not have been possible without the hard work and countless hours put in by the students. So on behalf of the whole community, we would like to congratulate the following athletes for their accomplishments:

Soccer
Ayana Yapo, committed to Auburn University

Volleyball
Ryli Elias, committed to Westmont College
Raechelle Dykastra, committed to Gonzaga University

Ryli Elias, Westmont College Volleyball commit, says she chose Westmont because “I knew I wanted to play volleyball and I knew I wanted to be in California so that played a huge role in my decision. Then just the Westmont program in general, I went to a prospect camp and really liked the environment of it all.”

Coach Lopez, Verrado’s Volleyball Coach expressed how close he had become with the girls, Ryli and Raechelle, over their journey. He talked about the hardships they faced through losses and injury, and how those struggles made them into the successful girls they are today.