Spider-Man: Into The Spider Verse And How It Changed The Animation Scene

Courtesy of Sony Pictures Animation Via WikiCommons
Logo for the hit animated film, Spider-Man: Into The spider verse, produced by Sony Pictures Animation and Columbia Pictures.

“Spider-man: Into the Spider-Verse” was a 2018 animated movie produced by Sony Pictures Animation and Columbia Pictures. When the spider verse was first released it shocked the animation scene with its art and animation style.

Spider-verse was incredibly different from anything ever seen before in terms of animation. It pushed the limits of animation and anyone could see the love and care that went into each frame and small detail of the movie. Spider-verse was mainly characterized by its bright and expressive style, especially in its fight scenes and character interactions.

After the initial release of Into The Spider-Verse, it was praised for its storyline and beautiful art style, winning awards such as the Golden Globe for Best Animated Feature. It was also a great success in the public eye, becoming very popular almost overnight.

According to Collider.com, in an article made by Dyah Larasati, titled spider-man: across the Spider Verse’ budget breakdown, “Into the Spider-Verse continued to captivate audiences as the theatrical run progressed, culminating in domestic earnings of $190 million and an impressive worldwide total of $385 million”.

This success helped animation studios realize that they did not have to follow the same format as everyone else for people to enjoy their animated projects. Animation studies saw that they could take risks with their animation projects and still be appreciated, they could take more risks and have personal freedom in these projects.

Spencer Brown, an art teacher at Verrado High School states “It was an amazing way that it was animated, it had the sensibility of sort of being real actors and not at the same time. It felt sort of like a comic book too.”

It is clear to see the way that Spider-verse has impacted people including those who teach art. Mr. Brown also states “The animation isn’t so puppet-like anymore.”

Students also agree with the influence Spider-verse had on the animation scene. You can see this influence in movies like, “Puss In Boots: The Last Wish”, and the upcoming movie “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Mutant Mayhem”.

Stylistically you can see the similarities, in both movies, you can see the expressive character moments and bright background styles. Into the Spider-verse allowed for animators to have more freedom in their projects. While stylized animation existed before Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse, many would say Into The Spider-verse popularized it.

Beyond the look of the spider-verse, it was also different on a technological level. Most films you see in theaters are filmed at 24 frames per second, while most background characters in Spider-Verse are animated in a similar way Spider Verse chooses to animate its main character, Miles Morales in 12 frames per second. This helps differentiate him from the other characters, as his movements are seen as clumsy and unsure.

In the sequel, the animators take this a step further with the character Hobie Brow or Spider-Punk. Instead of being animated at 24 or 12 frames per second, Hobie is animated at 8 frames per second. This helps to give more insight into his character by showing how different he is from all the other characters.

It is clear to see the influence that Spider-Man: Into The Spider-Verse had on the animation scene, and how it has paved the way for a new age of animated films. Hopefully, this can help animators have more freedom in their projects and encourage companies to take more risks with their animated projects.

View Comments (1)