Ryan Willey Signs To GCU For Track And Field

Chris Godinez
Ryan Willey and Teammates Pose for Photo (11/15/23).

Today, Ryan Willey, a multi-sport phenomenon guilty of breaking several school records, putting pen to paper, and solidifying his desire to continue Track and field at the collegiate level. 

Despite receiving a scholarship offer from Indiana Tech in late August, Willey decided to sign with Grand Canyon University to follow in the footsteps of a previous teammate and officially stamp himself as a D1 athlete. 

Willey also claims that GCU’s Head T&F Coach Tom Flood was “One of the best coaches for Track & Field” and that he “Really enjoys everything about GCU in general”. 

Alongside Verrado’s throwing and edge-rushing product were assistant Coaches Salem and Medrano, who all had some nice words for the up-and-coming T&F star. 

Head Football Coach Johnson was also in attendance and soon stated “From the moment I got here he stood out as someone who had direction and kept that direction. Whether it was a sack record or a record in throwing, he always did all he could to achieve his goals.” He’s a great leader, student, and friend to others. Verrado will miss Ryan but we are excited to see how far he goes in college!” 

The event took place right after school in the auditorium. Also accompanying Willey at the letter signing event were 20 of his teammates all taking pictures and congratulating him on how far he’s come both on the practice field and in the classroom.  It was great to be at an event where Verrado could display its unique comradery and sense of community.

To say the least, it was an experience you didn’t want to miss. Whether you’re a Verrado sports enthusiast or not, the least we can do as students is cheer on our alumni for making it to the next level. Verrado is very proud to see another one of its athletes moving on to play a sport at the collegiate level.