Verrado Softball Tryouts

Last years varsity team on picture day in the 2022/2023 season.

As the high school softball season is approaching, there are a lot of opportunities. Open fields have started on Mondays after school from 3:30-5:30 pm, with the next open field falling on January 29th on the varsity field. Tryouts will be held on February 5th through February 7th.

If you plan to attend tryouts, make sure to show up with the proper equipment and wear softball pants/socks. If you don’t have any softball clothes, wear athletic gear. Don’t forget to complete Register My Athlete/Aktivate and your physical prior to February 5th in order to try out.

Teagan Winberg up to bat in the first game of the 2022/2023 season. (Teagan Winberg)

With tryouts being three days long, it gives everyone a chance to have a fair chance at making the team. It allows the coaches to see how the girls play at every aspect of the game.

Kylie Bates states, “Coach Tee likes to stick to a structured schedule for tryouts, and the girls will get split up by grade. He tries to make sure that the tryouts are not stressful, and he does a pretty good job of placing girls on teams based on their skill level.”

On the first day of tryouts, the coaches will be testing the girls on their speed, base running, athleticism, and throwing abilities. This will show how much you know about the game, and what you can contribute to the team.

On the second day of tryouts, the girls will be evaluated on their hitting skills. Hitting is a big aspect of the game, and is important for the coaches to see.

On the last day of tryouts, the JV B team will begin their first day of practice. The JV A team will scrimmage the Varsity team, and the coaches will make final adjustments to the teams. After the scrimmage, the girls will find out which one of the teams they made.

Verrado Varsity Softball Team before the Strike Out Cancer game. (Teagan Winberg)

Abbey Feld states, “Tryouts are pretty relaxed, but you still get a lot done. It is fun to see all of the girls who are wanting to try softball, and it is also cool to see how much all of the girls improve by the end of the season.”

Last season, the varsity team made it to the play-in game and the first round of playoffs, and they look to have an even more successful season this year.

The coaches highly encourage girls to try out for softball. Freshman do not get cut from the team. The JV B team will include Freshman and Sophomores, the JV A team will include Freshman, Sophomores, and Juniors, and everyone has a chance to make the Varsity team.

The varsity coaches are Coach Tee Hampton, Coach Kaylah and Coach Mike. The JV A coach is Coach Corrina, and the JV B coach is Coach Omar.

The Varsity team will have 15 girls, the JV A team will have around 15 girls, and the JV B team will have around 14 girls.

Remember to have fun and always give your best effort!