Local Retirees And High School Seniors Are Building A Better World Through A New District Program

The+Senior+to+Senior+group+photo+at+reading+across+America.+
Alexis Moreno
The Senior to Senior group photo at reading across America.

The Agua Fria Senior To Senior Program, established in 2023, builds bridges between young people and local retirees to build support for the district and guide the senior students into adulthood. The group meets monthly during the school year to do well in the community and network with one another.

“Through this program, our goal is to develop multi-generational relationships among students and residents,” says, Melina Marchese, CTE Work-Based Specialist and Coordinator for the Senior to Senior program, “Youth will share their time and talents to offer technology lessons, assist with holiday decorating, and create social events. Our students will engage with our growing active adult community and have an opportunity to learn wisdom from their elders.”

Each month the program members meet to do different bonding activities such as cleaning up the YMCA, Dinner Theatre, and a networking workshop. All these events culminate in the end-of-year graduation party that the senior citizens put on for the students.

“I feel like every month I tell the group that this month’s activity is my favorite because I love all of them. It truly warms my heart when this group gets together, says Melinda Marchese, especially this year, this group formed bonds very quickly and it was evident they would be close from our first kick-off meeting. My favorite memory from the program is the strong bonds and meaningful connections formed through such interactions. The quick formation of close relationships among participants underscores the program’s success in creating a supportive and inclusive community.”

The program gives senior citizens hope for the future and allows senior students to learn a new perspective on the world and get wisdom from the seniors.

According to Noelle Garcia, a Verrado Senior, “I loved getting close to all of the seniors and learning from their experiences in life.”

The relationships made in this program reach farther than just the events. The seniors go to local events that future the senior students and provide a supporting community for them.

“One of my favorite memories from the program is when one of the senior citizens, Darcy, came to see me in Mean Girls,” says Noelle, “it was really special and I was very surprised.”

It is sad to say goodbye to a wonderful program that has made an impact on the lives of so many in the community, this author included, but despite the class of 2024 moving on, the Senior to Senior program will hopefully be around for many years to come for other classes to enjoy.